Arup Kumar Mandal - Facts
- Discipline: Engineering
- Area of Research: Industrial waste recycling & Green Steelmaking
- Research/Constancy Projects: (Ongoing/Completed)
- Current R&D Activities: 1. Beneficiation and agglomeration of lean grade iron ore fines, waste iron ore fines and iron ore slimes.
2. Minerals conservation using alternate mineral recorseby steel industries solid wastes for making useful products like fluxed iron ore pellets, double layer composite pre reduced pellets,insulation and constructional bricks as well extraction of valuable metals.
3. Developing process pretaining to Green Steelmaking Technologies by the application of plasma smelting.
- Dr. Arup Kumar Mandal is a researcher and working as a Senior Technical Officer in the Department of Metallurgical Engineering, IIT (BHU), Varanasi, India. He has an extensive industrial and research background.From the last five years, Dr. Mandal has done excellent work in the field of waste recycling and green technology for iron and steel making. He has done research in the area of 1. Beneficiation and agglomeration of lean grade iron ore fines, waste iron ore fines and iron ore slimes. 2.Mineral conservation using alternate mineral recourse by steel industries solid wastes for making useful products like fluxed iron ore pellets, double layer composite pre reduced pellets, insulation and constructional bricks as well extraction of valuable metals and 3. Green steel making by the application of plasma smelting.He fabricated 2 kg capacity laboratory scale transferred arc plasma furnace indigenouslyfor research work in the department of Metallurgical Engineering, IIT(BHU), Varanasi. He is still working towards making green steel usinghigh temperature plasma furnace for the production of stainless steeldirectly from smelting reduction route using waste chromite ore fines instead of chromium metal.
He is also associatedin producing clean steel from pig iron by addition of reduced flux iron ore pellets during induction/ Plasma melting. He prepared thermal insulation bricks by using two typical waste from integrated steel plant (i.e. bottom ash and iron ore slime) to replace the conventional mineral resources.He also developed higherstrength, better weather resistant composite pre reduced double layered fluxed iron ore pellets by using waste lime and iron ore fines as a feed material to be used in EAF / IF. He has filed 02 patents of the above said areas and associated with two projects.
- He delivered key note lecture in RAPM-2017 seminar organized by MSU, Baroda in April 2017 of the topic Extraction of Metals from Industrial Wastes by Using Transferred Arc Plasma and Double layer iron ore fluxed pellets from waste fines for better strength and weather resistance. As well as in ASIA Steel 2018 Conference organized by TATA Steel and IIM, Kolkata in February 2018 at Bhubaneswar on the topic of ‘Value Addition by Agglomeration- Case Studies’.
Dr. Mandal has published 27 papers in various peer reviewed international journals and conference proceedings. He has authored a book chapter titled “Smelting Reduction of Bottom Ash in Presence of Liquid Steel Bath for Recovery of Aluminium” in Book : ‘Advances in Molten Slags, Fluxes, and Salts’ published by the John Wiley & Sons, Inc, USA in 2016.
Dr. Mandal is the reviewer of various journals like Waste Management and Research, Plasma Science and Technology, Mineral Processing and extractive metallurgy review etc.
Dr. Mandal is the recipient of the Best employee award by TATA group in the year of 2007 for his excellent contribution in the blast furnace iron making.
He is a life member of The Indian Institute of Metals (IIM), The Institution of Engineers(India), (IEI), Indian Institute of Mineral Engineers (IIME), and Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE)
Date of birth: 09th January, 1980
Affiliation: Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University), Varanasi
Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering
PhD. Topic: Utilization of Iron Ore Slime and Bottom Ash Solid Waste from Indian Integrated Steel Plants